If you want to work on lateral movement technique, check the Lateral Movement drill first.
- Have all the skaters on the track, spread evenly around the track just inside the outside line. I have done this drill with 50 or so skaters at once - the more the merrier (and the more challenging!)
- On the whistle, the skaters are to laterally cross to the inside line, skating low
- The next whistle, the skaters move to the outside line
- Increase the speed of the whistle to test the control the skaters have - when it gets faster you might see some position changing, some missed crosses and some collisions
- To increase difficulty, risk and stance, have the skaters touch the lines as they move back and forth. Or have skaters do a grapevine crossover as they move from one side to the other
- To decrease difficulty and risk, allow skaters to position themselves wherever they are comfortable and move independently of one another